How do I plagiarize thee?

let me count the ways...

Saturday, September 8, 2007

plagiarism at SIUC, cont'd

Here are some sources on the events of the last week or so, most recent first, blog style. We here at SIUC are still in shock, or maybe denial, but you can see the story play out here in the local Illinois media- I hope the links last. Being one who writes and speaks on the issue of plagiairism (albeit that of international students, many of whom did not bring with them to this country the cultural tendency to scorn it as stealing and cheating) I cannot remain silent on this issue forever. But for now, I'm saying nothing, for two reasons: One, I still haven't read the parts of the dissertation that are in question, and, two, I know many of the people involved, though I am also not totally familiar with the story of Chris Dussold, SIUE professor, which apparently started the whole thing or at least had a strong part in its development. I will also mention a local guy, Scott Thorne, who has been filling up the Carbondale Bytelife weblog, of which I'm a member, with a fairly balanced running commentary complete with links. Having a local business background (I believe), he has no dog in the fight, so he just gives some useful links (including the ones I provide below) and a neutral perspective. But, oddly enough, I consider myself somewhat neutral also. And I'll stay that way, at least until I've read the stuff, and know what I'm talking about.

Chicago Tribune (2007, Sept. 7). The accidental plagiarist. Editorial. Accessed 9-7-07 from:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0907edit1sep07,0,2218998.story

Crawford, J. (2007, Sept. 6). Department declines to review Poshard's dissertation. Daily Egyptian. Accessed 9-7-2007 from:
http://media.www.siude.com/media/storage/paper1096/news/2007/09/06/Campus/Department.Declines.To.Review.Poshards.Dissertation-2952105.shtml.

Wilson, J. and Crawford, C. (2007, August 20). Poshard defends dissertation against plagiarism charges. Daily Egyptian. Accessed 9-7-2007 from:
http://media.www.siude.com/media/storage/paper1096/news/2007/08/30/Campus/Poshard.Defends.Dissertation.Against.Plagiarism.Charges-2943746.shtml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home